Short Shamanism and Shamanic Healing Bibliography
"Shamanism" is a hugely broad subject as we use that term here in the West. The most comprehensive work on the subject, cataloging practices from all over the world is
Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy by Mircea Eliade. Academic and heavily footnoted, it is a survey of thousands of peoples and their healing practices. Still in print after six decades and available from Amazon and other booksellers.
Introductory and how-to books:
- The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner. This book, the granddaddy of them all, was one of the first how-to books on shamanic practice in the West. Michael Harner is an anthropologist who did extensive field work and study with indigenous shamans. He put together a set of techniques, which he calls, "core shamanism." Then he started the Foundation for Shamanic Studies, a non-profit education foundation. This book contains clear descriptions of how to do shamanic journeys, including basic healing journeys for others.
- Shamanic Journeying: A Beginner's Guide by Sandra Ingerman is a good how-to book. It includes clear descriptions of how to journey, and also provides a handy drumming CD to practice to.
- Awakening to the Spirit World: The Shamanic Path of Direct Revelation by Sandra Ingerman and Hank Wesselman, Ph.D., paleoanthropologist, is a good starting point. I think this book also contains a drumming CD to help you in your studies.
Books to enhance your shamanic journeys and skills:
- Easy to Use Shamanism by Jan Morgan Wood (now Faith Nolton) delights me. Ms. Wood has included great ideas for journeys. The book contains her beautiful and inspiring visionary art inspired by her own journeys. She is the former partner of Nicholas Breeze Wood, publisher of Sacred Hoop magazine.
- Shamanism As A Spiritual Practice for Daily Life by Tom Cowan is one of my all-time absolute favorite resources for the experienced journey-er. This little book by Ten Speed press has a plethora of journey ideas and ways of thinking about the shamanic realms. It is a singular delight. If you already know how to journey and only buy one book, get this one.